It’s no secret that developing a strong brand is essential for the long term success of a business. Everyone wants to develop a brand that keeps customers loyal and coming back. A brand that is so strong whenever someone mentions a product in your sector, they immediately think of your company.
But how do you develop a brand that strong? Especially when you don’t have the cash flow to compete with existing market leaders.
The key is to focus on clever marketing and to give the customer exactly what they’re looking for.
Here are the 12 best books on branding that will enable you to develop a clear message, a strong brand and most importantly, a loyal following.
12 best books on branding
1) Designing Brand Identity: An Essential Guide for the Whole Branding Team, 4th Edition – by Alina Wheeler
Offers a proven, universal five-phase process and methodology for creating and implementing effective brand identity
2) Sticky Branding: 12.5 Principles to Stand Out, Attract Customers, and Grow an Incredible Brand – by Jeremy Miller
Provides ideas, stories, and exercises that will make your company stand out, attract customers, and grow into an incredible brand.
3) Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products – by Nir Eyal
Learn the Hook Model—a four-step process embedded into the products of many successful companies to subtly encourage customer behavior.
4) Brand Thinking and Other Noble Pursuits – by Debbie Millman
This is a great read on the state of modern branding and how companies and consumers can best understand the behavior behind why we brand and why we buy.
5) The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding – by Al Ries
This book proclaims that the only way to stand out in today’s marketplace is to build your product or service into a brand—and provides the step-by-step instructions you need to do so.
6) The Brand Gap: How to Bridge the Distance Between Business Strategy and Design – by Marty Neumeier
Where most books on branding are weighted toward either a strategic or creative approach, this book shows how both ways of thinking can unite to produce a “charismatic brand”.
7) Aaker on Branding: 20 Principles That Drive Success – by David Aaker
Culled from the six David Aaker brand books and related publications, these principles provide the broad understanding of brands, brand strategy, brand portfolios, and brand building that all business, marketing, and brand strategists should know.
8) Growth Hacker Marketing: A Primer on the Future of PR, Marketing, and Advertising – by Ryan Holiday
Bestselling author Ryan Holiday, the acclaimed marketing guru for American Apparel, explains the new rules and provides valuable examples and case studies for aspiring growth hackers.
9) The Power of Visual Storytelling: How to Use Visuals, Videos, and Social Media to Market Your Brand – by Ekaterina Walter
The Power of Visual Storytelling explains how to grow your business and strengthen your brand by leveraging photos, videos, infographics, presentations, and other rich media.
10) Everybody Writes: Your Go-To Guide to Creating Ridiculously Good Content – by Ann Handley
Everybody Writes is a go-to guide to attracting and retaining customers through stellar online communication, because in our content-driven world, every one of us is, in fact, a writer.
11) All Marketers Are Liars: The Underground Classic That Explains How Marketing Really Works–and Why Authenticity Is the Best Marketing of All – by Seth Godin
Marketers succeed when they tell us a story that fits our worldview, a story that we intuitively embrace and then share with our friends.
12) The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users – by Guy Kawasaki
By now it’s clear that whether you’re promoting a business, a product, or yourself, social media is near the top of what determines your success or failure.